- day of reckoning
- noun1. (New Testament) day at the end of time following Armageddon when God will decree the fates of all individual humans according to the good and evil of their earthly lives• Syn:↑Judgment Day, ↑Judgement Day, ↑Day of Judgment, ↑Day of Judgement, ↑Doomsday, ↑Last Judgment, ↑Last Judgement, ↑Last Day, ↑eschaton, ↑doomsday, ↑crack of doom, ↑end of the world• Topics: ↑New Testament• Hypernyms: ↑day2. an unpleasant or disastrous destiny-
everyone was aware of the approaching doom but was helpless to avoid it-
that's unfortunate but it isn't the end of the world
* * *JUDGEMENT DAY, day of retribution, doomsday.
* * *: a time when the consequences of a course of mistakes or misdeeds are felt
the flow of wealth … hurried overstocking and brought the day of reckoning nearer — R.A.Billington
* * *the time when one is called to account for one's actions, to pay one's debts, or to fulfill one's promises or obligations.
* * *day of reckoning phrasea time when you are forced to deal with the results of your actionsThesaurus: turning points and important stagessynonymMain entry: reckoning
* * *the time when past mistakes or misdeeds must be punished or paid for; a testing time when the degree of one's success or failure will be revealedOrigin:with allusion to Judgment Day, on which (in some beliefs) the judgment of humankind is expected to take place
Useful english dictionary. 2012.